Your Subtitle text

About Us

   Discussions concerning the need for a county hospital began in 1945. Petitions were circulated in the county in 1946 for a special election to request a hospital bond vote of $125,000. The hospital committee consisted of Nathan E. Hayse, Jr., Chairman V. A. Koch, M.H. Tucker, H.P. Parkin and E. M. Pyle II, with Steve Church, attorney.

    Construction of Kiowa County Memorial Hospital was begun in 1948 with the total cost of the hospital being $192,000. The hospital opened with 20 beds on March 7, 1950 with a contract with the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities of Elkhart, Indiana to manage the hospital. The first medical staff of the hospital included: Edwin P. Deal, M.D. Florence Friesen, M.D. J.R. Bradley, M.D. M. H. Waldorf, Jr., M.D.

     In 1965, a new wing was completed with 10 semi-private rooms and a full basement for storage, conference room and preceptor quarters. The cost of this project was $150,000 and increased bed capacity to 36 beds.

     In 1973 and 1974 the hospital began operating the Ambulance Service, and an ambulance garage and mechanical building were constructed.

     In 1976, a new wing was constructed with 12 private patient rooms, a new kitchen and extensive remodeling to the original building. This gave KCMH a licensed capacity of 38 beds and six bassiinets.

     During the years from 1986 to 1990, the laboratory was enlarged and remodeled. The Administrator’s office was relocated. A Birthing room was added and Central Supply was relocated and brought up to standard.

     Renovations were completed in January 1992, Physical Therapy was moved into the space where medical records had been. An addition was completed across the front of the building. Medical Records was moved to the South end of the front addition. Administrative offices were located at the North End of the front addition. A new lobby was constructed.

     In January 1992, the County agreed to purchase the Bradley Waldorf Clinic for $150,000 plus $23,400 for equipment.

     In October 1994, opened a satellite clinic in Bucklin. This clinic was closed December 1995.

     In October 1995, the County did not renew its management contract with Mennonite Health Services.

     In September 1996, a contract was signed with Great Plains Health Alliance to provide management services. This contract was changed to a lease contract in October 1997.

     A rural health clinic was opened in Haviland in May 2006.

The Tornado

     On May 4, 2007, the hospital was destroyed by an EF5 tornado. On May 21, 2007, the hospital reopened in a temporary tent hospital (Emeds unit) brought in by the Air National Guard, Topeka, Kansas. The ER was opened first and other departments were brought on board. August 1, 2007, we opened Greensburg Family Practice in a modular building. By December 2007, the facility consisted of 4 tents and 6 modulars. We offered onsite ER, acute inpatient, lab, X-ray, Daycare, administration, medical records, materials management, business office and maintenance departments. Ground for the new building was on October 28, 2008. Health Facility Group, Wichita, Kansas was the architect and Murray Group was the contraction manager. Open House for the new 50,000 square foot hospital and clinic was held on March 12, 2010.
     A retail Pharmacy was added to the hospital site in January 2012.